July 01, 2007

Creeps are at Home Depot

You know how it's fun to watch crime shows because those things never seem to happen to anyone you know? Have you ever wondered how close you've come to being a victim? As a single woman who has lived alone in either Chicago or New York for the better part of the past 10 years I am always conscious of my security and surroundings. So far I've been safe. But something happened yesterday that reminded me that creeps are indeed living in my world and not just on Law & Order SVU.

I went to Home Depot to get paint and supplies to put the finishing touches on my apartment yesterday. I've carried a few heavy things home from Home Depot on the subway, but four gallons of paint was past even my stubborn limit. I called a car service (which are the cabs in Brooklyn) and was waiting outside the exit for them to arrive. After I had been waiting for about ten minutes a white van with only porthole windows pulled up to me. This guy looked creepy. He rolled down his window and asked, "Want me to drive you?" I replied with clear caution in my voice, "No, thanks." He asked, "Are you sure?" "Yeah, I'm sure," I replied in a very stern, get-the-hell-away-from-me-because-I-know-you-are-a-cretin tone. He tried one last time as he started to pull away, "Really?" "Yeah, really." He pulled away slowly, as if I might change my mind.

My guess is that this guy had been driving around the parking lot for a while before approaching me. Had to see that I was waiting alone. Since I generally look younger than I am, was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, and had no make-up on I'm sure he assumed I was actually quite a few years younger. Obviously he thought that I might be stupid enough to get in that van with him, or that it was at least worth a try.

I wouldn't label this exchange a close-call by any means. I was in a very crowded place and there is no way I would ever get into some stranger's van willingly. I wasn't in danger for even a second. But it sure was creepy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have been offended that he didn't even think to offer you some candy. Jerk.

Lori said...

I know... RUDE!