January 30, 2008

Easy street

I was pretty excited two weeks ago when I got my interest check from my apartment security deposit escrow account. $2.48 richer, I went out and splurged. Let me tell you, the only thing that tastes better than a McDonald's cheeseburger and small fry is a free McDonald's cheeseburger and small fry. Just when I thought life couldn't get any better, I get this puppy in the mail:


This second check was accompanied by a letter telling me that due to a bank error the original check I received was for an incorrect amount and I was owed more money. And just like that I was nine cents richer. Sweet!

But how to spend my newfound wealth? I can give one cent to nine of the guys on the street asking for "just a penny" for the homeless. I can call my step-sister in Bonaire for 5 minutes on Skype. I can buy 4 two-cent rate change stamps and leave the last penny on the ground for someone to find for good luck. I can go back in time to 1970, borrow a penny from someone and buy a Hershey Bar.

Hmmmm, all of these sound good. How would you spend nine cents?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the 80's, you could buy 9 gumballs. Sometimes the machine would mess up and even give you 2 for penny.

Anonymous said...

You have to go back further than the 1970s. Back in the late 60's it cost 10 cents for phone call. But, gumball machines were a penny. A nickle for one of those jawbreakers.