October 29, 2007

"Is she like an Egyptian Wonder Woman?"

On Saturday night I went out with some friends to a Halloween party on the Lower East Side. I was so excited because I put a TON of time into my costume this year. I was committed to going as She-ra, and since you can't buy a costume, I had to make mine. With the help of my very crafty friend Natasha, I pulled it off perfectly.

Here's a picture of Shannon and me, she's a Freudian Slip (there's a slip under that jacket).
On the way to meet Shannon a few girls on the street asked if I was Wonder Woman. I said no, I was She-ra. They asked, "Is she like and Egyptian Wonder Woman?" I replied, "No, she's a super hero from the 80s, you guys probably weren't even born yet." To which I was curtly corrected, "Hey, I was born in 89!" Touche.

On the subway a whole car of people again thought I was Wonder Woman. I'm still puzzled by the WW confusion.

Also on the subway one woman recognized the costume and asked to take my picture. That was pretty funny. Oh yeah, I'm somebody now.

Once at the bar there were a bunch of people that recognized She-ra, and they all loved the costume. There were two guys who were dressed as the Dick in a Box guys, and that was pretty good. I stopped to compliment and chat with them but they didn't know who I was. One of them though I was some kind of Grecian superhero... I guess I can see that. But since I decided before going out that I wouldn't entertain any boys who didn't know who I was (because they would be too young), I had to move on.

I had a funny short conversation with a pirate guy as I was waiting for my drink at the bar:
Guy: You're cute!
Me: Thanks.
Guy: So what are you? Other than cute?
Me: She-ra.
Guy: Is that from Chronicles of Narnia?
Me: Um, no.
Guy: Well, you look really cute.
Me: Thanks. *smirk* Bye.

When I turned with my drink there was a guy dressed as a Ghostbuster. He recognized She-ra and we had a little "We love the 80s because we were born before the decade started" moment.

It was a lot of fun seeing all the costumes people had on. There were lots of pirates, Wonder Women, and slutty whatevers. I was pretty slutty too, but that's not my fault... that's just how She-ra rolls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!!! Long live She-Ra... Defender of the Universe!!!! :):)