October 27, 2006

I live in 1984

Last night I was lugging my laundry across the street to the laundromat when I heard music. I looked to my right, and there he was... a guy holding a boom box. I almost tripped when I saw him. I couldn't believe it. When the "ghetto blaster" craze was at it's height I still wasn't allowed to leave the neighborhood alone. And here was a guy, 20 years later, walking down my street, carrying a rather large all-black boom box.

Perhaps he's a throwback to a simpler time, rebelling against iPods and, hell, even portable CD players. But maybe the boom box never faded away. The craze may have passed but the boom box held tight and persevered these many years. Maybe we haven't seen the last of the boom box...

Apple could be working on something right now.

No comments: