October 12, 2006

Left my cobra on the N train

During my morning commute I generally read for the duration of the subway ride, fitting right in with the rest of New Yorkers who are forced to be together in order to get where they are going, but fervently taking measures to interact as little as possible. The only time I do look up is to check the weather and the view as the train passes over the Manhattan bridge. Today, however, the train was exceptionally crowded, making it hard to read. So I looked around. Right above me was an ad for the MTA Lost Property Unit. I had seen the sign before but only at a glance and never really looked at it. Today I did. I was amazed at the things people seem to lose on the subway.


I realize it can be difficult to keep track of your cobra, but how do you leave behind a prosthetic limb? Don't you need that? Along the same lines, how do you get on the subway with a crutch and exit without it? Are people miraculously healed while riding on certain lines? Does Jesus live on the subway? Because if this is the case I've still got a sprained ankle that could use a miracle, and I'd like to know which line he rolls on.

Clearly this sign begs more questions than it answers. But it is nice to know that if I'm old and still living in New York I will be able to get my dentures back when they fall out of my mouth on the bus to the bingo hall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, I think this was the funniest blog yet - and what about the size of those dentures !!! Godzilla must have left them behind the last time he attacked NYC.

Anonymous said...

haha, yeah, maybe jesus moved to NYC. he finally got sick of stalking me on the Red Line and moved east.

ah, the joys of urban life.

Anonymous said...

Jeebus does live on the subway. Ask that dood who kicks around the amoeba pillow....he'll tell you the truth. He'll probably also tell you that his name is "foots" and that he's really a classical musician.