May 06, 2007

"Oh yeah, GET AWAY FROM ME!"

Tonight I went to see a studio apartment in Park Slope. It wasn't the apartment for me mostly because the hallway was so narrow I couldn't get my couches upstairs. But also because even if I could I wouldn't have had the room to put them anywhere once they were in. But this isn't the point on the story...

When I arrived at the open house everyone else there was a couple. Tons of them. And all of them were scrambling to get their application in. I just couldn't imagine two people living in that apartment. For just another hundred dollars a month each they could have an apartment like I have now which is very comfortable for two. I just didn't get it.

A little while later I was waiting for the subway when one of the couples that was at the open house walked past. When we got on the train they were sitting not too far from me. I overheard the girl saying to the guy, "We are totally going to have our own lives. I mean, we can't be around each other all the time. Like lately, I feel like you've been smothering me." She said it so nonchalantly, like "Should we have bagels for breakfast? You're smothering me. How about french toast?"

Ummmm, as a person who has lived with people, a few points. 1) If you live in a studio with another human, you will be around them, ALL the time. Unless of course one of you is nocturnal. 2) If you already feel smothered, moving in together might not be the best approach to work on that particular problem. 3) Perhaps after filling out an application for an apartment is not the best time to have the "you're smothering me" conversation on the subway. What a lucky guy he is.

For my own part I applied for an apartment last week that I really like. I hope to know tomorrow if I got it. Chances are very good, but anything could happen. Be with me now juju!

Week four-ish tanning report: The lotion for fair skin didn't do too much for me. I was just about to pick up a spray on tan when Megan said every article she's read about the lotion tanners says that you have to go at least a shade darker to get any results. So I stepped it up to the medium tone... we'll see how it goes. I also had a really nice day with Jenna at the botanical gardens over the weekend where we soaked in the sunshine. Don't worry! I was wearing sunblock, but some of those rays always sneak on by to aid in the tanning. If I keep with the lotion and the sunshine my skin might not blind my mother on her wedding day!

No comments: