August 01, 2006

Day one in the sublet...

So my first weird thing happened in NY today. I'm in the sublet apartment working when someone buzzes at the door. I open it up to find a little old lady (our building has many roaming the halls). She waddles up into the small foyer in the apartment and asks me for change for $20 because she has someone working in her apartment. This is initailly strange to me because I've always lived in brownstones in Chicago and not buildings so I've never had more than a few "neighbors" let alone ones that come around knocking. Also, in Chicago we tend to keep our old people in the old people housing. So you'll see them on the street, but not in your building.

I open my wallet and show the lady that I only have two fives and a one. So indeed, I do not have change for a 20. She just stands there looking at my wallet like she doesn't know what to do. Mind you, she is sorta in the apartmet. I say sorry and she says, "Weeelllll, I can't take your money, you need it." To which I reply, "Yeah, I do." I come from a long line of Italian guilt, so little old lady guilt doesn't get anywhere with me. She looked up at me one last time before putting her head down and slowly closing the door as she shuffled out. I think she really expected me to just give her money.

Am I crazy? This is weird right? Should I be handing out money to ladies who knock at my door? I mean, I was raised with the midwestern values, but I don't remember my parents telling me you have to give your money to little old ladies who knock at your door.

More to come I'm sure. It is New York City after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I am the proud Mom of a witty, humourous and talented daughter. And, my cat Damon made the portfolio. Should he get royalities (idea compliments of Lisa)?

Anonymous said...

Is this strange, no way, these kind of events are expected in high rise buildings. The older they get the stranger the questions. Wait until someone asks you to hold their cane as they go to the restroom. For Day 1 though, that is a good start to your stories.

Anonymous said...

Wait a few weeks, figure out where she lives, and then show up around midnight and ask if she can make change for twenty dollars in pennies.