August 17, 2006

There's a new address for fun

And that address is...

Yeah right, like I'm going to post my new home address on the web so all you psychos can come hunt me down while I sleep.

But the news is real, I do indeed have a place to live on September first. It is the apartment described in the previous post. Greg and I met the landlord and signed the lease yesterday. We feel really good about it and are excited to explore our new hood, and have a home again so we don't have to be transient ner-do-wells anymore. I'll send out an e-mail with the address soon.

On a completely different topic; I realized yesterday that I should never leave the house in this city without my camera. I turn the corner in Union Square at 11am yesterday and see this thing...
My camera phone wasn't going to do it justice. As you can see, this thing is huge. And mind you, the rat was on a busy corner in Manhattan, not hanging out in a field somewhere in Ohio with his good friend Big Sky Bob. And it's really kinda creepy. It has red eyes and what looked like blood on its mouth and teeth. I can only assume it's some giant inflatable man-eating rabid rat. There were a few news crews and people around, but no obvious reason for the presence of the rat in pleasant Union Square. Nobody was passing out any flyers or shouting anything like, "PUT YOUR GARBAGE IN CANS! STOP GIANT RATS!" or "SEE, ANIMAL TESTING DOES SUCK." So I didn't really get the statement.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this rat theme you have going for NYC. It is good know that you will not be homeless on Sept 1st.

Christine said...

Did you notice if anyone was on strike? I've seen this same rat in Illinois when people are picketing. It represents the employer that's doing the employees wrong...just a thought. Congrats on the new digs!

Lori said...

I didn't see anyone picketing... and when I returned to the scene an hour later the rat was gone. Maybe there was something going on earlier and I cought the "tail" end of it!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you've locked down a new place to live. One less thing to worry about...

Now, about these gigantic rats... Seeing as you're a fresh transplant, perhaps you can be the one who openly tells the entire city what most only think to themselves. I'm sure you could easily cook up a stunning, visually compelling ad campaign that encourages regular garbage can use. Billboards, benches, busses, cabs, Times Square. your message could be everywhere!

Anonymous said...

Lori:

Congratulations on finding a new home!!! I'm thrilled for you guys.