August 03, 2006

What's that smell?

Okay, everyone knows that New York doesn't have alleys and so they have to put the garbage right on the street; causing enormous rats, blocked paths, and the worst smell on the planet, especially in these very hot days of summer. But this is not the smell I am referring to because this is nothing new. I am referring to the smell of New York water.

We have a small bathroom in our sublet, which smells distinctly different than the rest of the apartment all the time (and not because of bathroom activities, you dirty jerks). Upon closer examination, all the towels smell this way. When I used to visit Greg I noticed his towels would smell, but I thought he was just a man with no time to wash his towels. It turns out that it is the actual water they are washed in that smells this way. I can't really describe the smell, other than that it is most decidedly "not fresh."

So I did a little research. Apparently New York is well known for having some of the best tap water in the world (as is Chicago, but Chicago's water doesn't smell). Some people think it's the lead pipes in old buildings that make the water smell and taste badly, which wouldn't make sense in this case as Greg's old building was only a few years old. So I'm not sure what is causing this smelly water, and why it seems to stick to our towels. I have to say, I'm quite worried that after washing my clothes in this water in the time that I'm here will also make them smell. That would be so sad, I do love my valuable t-shirts.


Until I figure it out I'll be using extra detergent and keeping Febreze in the bathroom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So basically what your saying is that New York is smelly.... AND this "smell" is contaigous.... So there will now be a distinct "not fresh" smell following you around. I have a feeling I may be making comments about this when you come home for visits. ;)

Anonymous said...

aw, c'mon. live it. love it. wear it. wash with it. drink it. sweat it out. get it on ya.

it's not a smell, it's a rite of passage.

Anonymous said...

Waiting for Smelly Water song to hit the Top 10.

Anonymous said...

At least you have power...or do you?

Anonymous said...

Nice of you to join us in the 'The-water-here-is-not-so-great-club'. Your membership badge is in the mail.
Yours only smells, ours here is so filled with dirt particles our clothes develop a distinctly brownish shade. Lovely. God bless outback towns!

Lori said...

I thought that the smell might carry with me, but then I remembered that my good friend Jerry and his wife Jenna (names changed to protect their anonymity) would visit from NY and they never smelled. So I belive that I won't be carrying this unfreshness with me. I'm certainly much better off than Loren in the outback!! Girl, move back to civilization!