September 07, 2006

Good juju

And I mean really good juju.

Not only are Greg and I now in our new apartment with our stuff and getting more settled everyday, but... I GOT THE JOB! That's right, you aren't reading things. After a long time of hearing "No way crazy girl with no experience," I finally found a place that said "We love you! You're the best! We can't wait for you to start!" Not only do they love me, but I love them right back.

The company is called IO Media (www.io-media.com - website is under construction right now) and there are about 30 people, mostly men. They do three kinds of digital illustration: architectural (what I do), construction, and healthcare. I will be working specifically for one of thier design/architectural clients. What's great about these guys is that they took off their blinders and looked beyond the original position they were hiring for (mostly production). They recognized my marketing, communication and design skills and have wrapped it all up in a nice little package. They envision that I will actully be helping the client with design ideas as well as doing some of the rendering. I will be the dedicated point person on the project to liase with the client (along with the VP, who works with all clients), so they will be working with me to flush out thier ideas, and I will tell the production people what they want. In that regard I will also be a project manager since I will be making sure everyone is on the same page and the project is moving forward. Along the way I'll be learning 3D Max from the production guys and helping out with making changes in the program.

When Jeremy, the man in charge of hiring, asked me what I thought of that I said, "It sounds so perfect I almost don't believe you." We had a good laugh, and then he offered me $5,000 more a year than I requested during the interview. These guys are good. They aren't trying to jip me. They recognized the talents I have to offer beyond rendering and are paying me right for it. They also realize the value of having someone who can do rendering production and but can also get up from the computer and talk efficiently with the client.

I almost can't belive it. Greg being in New York is what started me looking for work here, and that is what made me realize there is more opportunity here than in Chicago for this kind of work. But taking the short-term marketing job with Accenture just so I could get here was a big risk. This is the payoff. This is the reason I'm here. This makes the move worth it. It's a place I can contribute with all of my skills and have the ability to learn so many new ones. The company is big enough that there is actual upward movement for high-performers. And they aren't even starting me at the bottom. They started me off mid-level, which is so sweet.

I'm still working out what to do with my Accenture gig. IO Media is happy to work something out so I can possibly do both until my assignment is up in November, but I would only be able to do that if I can lower my hours and work nights and weekends. So I'm waiting to hear if Accenture wants to keep me for fewer hours or just let me go. It would be a tough three months of working two jobs, but I would be happy to have the extra cash. We'll see what happens next.

I'm so happy my juju finally got back on my side. It must have felt really badly about being a jerk for so long that it paid me back big time. I think with this grand gesture my juju and I can finally start the healing process. I've missed you juju. My good juju.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Congrats Lori, that is great news. I'm glad you are so happy in New York! Good luck :o)

Joseph L. Dressler said...

Hoorah for NY coming through and making Lori happy. If we were raising a glass, I would say, here is to many more wonderful years / adventures in NY.

Anonymous said...

I am so so happy for you. Finally a firm that realized your talents!!!!

Can't wait to visit you in New York and give you a big kiss and hug. Susan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lori !!! I am really glad that I had cell phone service at the top of The Badlands, photographing prairie dogs, to share in your good news first hand !!! Love, Mom