September 12, 2006

Stupid nature

That's right, I'm mad at nature. Last Friday night I decided to go for a run in Prospect Park to start dedicating myself to running again, since it's pretty much the only thing that keeps my weight in check and I just feel better when I'm in shape. I managed to run a few times on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade when we were in the sublet, but have mostly not been working out since the move. I figured, no more excuses. I'm now in the new apartment and mostly unpacked, I landed the new job so job-searching isn't sucking up any time, and I'm just sick of sitting around. Normally I would run on the treadmill, but Greg had told me the park is amazing, and I wanted to check it out.

I warm up by walking there quickly on the noisy city streets, and am amazed by the quiet once I step into the park. I actually turned off my iPod to listen to the quiet. It's wonderful to have that outlet in a very noisy city. There are also lots of surfaces to run on and it is very challenging with all the hills. But the leaves are still quite green and the grass was cut that day so I was having a little trouble breathing deeply (I have asthma and allergies so it can be difficult to excersice oustide at certain times). I was getting tired pretty quickly because of it so I decided to start heading back. Close to the exit I encountered a hill and my foot went right under me. Owwwwwwwww!!!! It was bad, I actually went down and was worried I may have broken my ankle. As I was picking myself up and dusting myself off, I notice that none of the runners or bikers passing me by stopped to help, or even ask if I was okay. There were two guys sitting on stairs not five feet away who were speaking Spanish. They are not even trying to hide the fact that they are watching and clearly talking about me. Jerks.

Luckily I was able to get up. Also lucky that I was close to the exit of the park and was able to slowly hobble out (it's a huge park, being further in would have been a problem). Even more lucky is that my freinds Jerry and Jenna live very close to the park, and certainly much, much closer than my apartment. I knew Jenna was out of town for the weekend and was just hoping that Jerry would be home enjoying his solitude. The thought of hobbling the mile home was more than I could bear, as I had no subway card and no money for a cab. Jerry was home and as soon as I told him what happened he picked me up and carried me to the couch. In no time we had my foot up with ice on it and he was happy to share a little of his Friday night with me. PHEW! When it was time for me to get home he called a car for me, walked me downstairs and gave me money for the ride. "I feel like you are my wife," he joked. To which I replied, "But I'll pay you back!"

Greg was able to work from home for the weekend, so I let him take care of me. Of course that meant I had to endure much mocking peppered with worry for the health of my ankle. For the next two weeks I am still able to work from home for Accenture, so I won't be going into the office this week in order to really rest and let it heal. I refuse to be active too early and risk the ankle not healing properly, no matter how badly I am dying to get out of the house. And I'm REALLY dying to get out of the house. I got flowers from my Aunt Susan and Uncle Fred today as congratuations on the new job, and I was delighted just to make my way down the stairs and get a glimpse of the outside world to sign for the flowers.

So I ban nature. When I am able to run again in a month-ish, I'm going back to my old friend, the treadmill. Sure, there's no color, no wind and no scenery... but there is a TV and no terrain to trip on, so I'm happy there. Nature just isn't my style.

No comments: