September 23, 2006

Finally

Yesterday was my first day at Iomedia. It was a lazy day, I just familiarized myself with the work, had a quick orientation and reviewed the digital resources. But it was a great day. It is a very laid back company, and everyone I met seems very cool and outgoing. At the end of the day one of the VPs pulled a box of gear out of a closet with hats, t-shirts and winter vests. But they weren't lame, they were really nice. None of the vests fit, but I do have a cute shirt and hat for skiing! It's pretty rare to work for a company where the employees are so proud to work there that they are clamoring over branded gear. I actually work for the cool company everyone wants to work for, and I'm not sure how that happened... but its going to be great. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone.

And the location can't be beat. Its in Union Square, which has everything. All the shopping chains and designer stores you would want, including Whole Foods and the only Trader Joe's in the city. Since the neighborhood I live in has a lot of little boutiques but is short on the go-to necessities, working here means I have the best of both worlds. Once I learn where everything is I won't feel so stuck with limited resources in Brooklyn. Don't get me wrong, I love living in Brooklyn, but it's just a little harder to get what you need when you live in a very residential area in New York. In Chicago when you need to run an errand for something you just pop in your car and go. Done. Here, you have to figure out where it might be sold, and it may not be able to be found within walking distance. So then you would have to find a store and take the subway to it, which can kill a lot of time if you aren't already out. Now I'll be able to get whatever I need on lunch or after work. Sweet.

I'm looking forward to jumping in to the job next week. Whoo-hoo!

No comments: