August 21, 2007

Birthday Baklava is back!

This weekend my mom managed to make it out to visit me. It was quite a trek for her to get here. I think between the time she spent in the airport trying to get here 3 weeks ago, and the time she spent this past Friday, it was a greater total time than she actually spent in New York itself. We had a great time while she was here, but the to and fro was really a hassle for her. Freaking LGA.

While she was here we went to the Whitney Museum for a special exhibit on the art of the psychedelic 60s. It was a re
ally cool exhibit. Our favorite was taking pictures in the felt rainbow room thing because of the fluid shapes and colors. I'm really not sure how to describe it. Below is a cool picture of Mom , and I've posted more in my NY Visitors album from the weekend, so you can get an idea there.


We also went shopping to Bloomingdales where I was very successful in finding two pairs of new jeans, which was quite a triumph for me. I actually had a few pairs to choose from, whereas I usually just buy the single pair that doesn't make me cry. I attest my big win to two things; stepping up my workout to running and biking every time I'm at the gym, and the selection in the store. Megan was right all along, it really is the best jeans department I've ever seen.

Saturday night we went out for dinner at a Moroccan
restaurant in Park Slope, which was amazing. We had some wine beforehand, a big glass with dinner and some port with desert, compliments of the owner for my birthday. I also saw the return of Birthday Baklava! Last year I regaled you with my story of Birthday pie. But there have also been many instances of Birthday Baklava. For some reason a bunch of years ago we got in the habit of having my birthday dinner in Greek town in Chicago, so I would order a piece of baklava as desert. It always makes me laugh when it comes with a candle, and who doesn't love Baklava?

Sunday we had brunch at a wonderful Irish bar, I was full the entire day. Oh, so full. We got tickets to see Curtains on Broadway, which was just wonderful. It is just one of those fun comedy musicals that you can't help but feel leaving good. Then it was off to dinner with the NY Family, Jerry and Jenna, at one of my favorite restaurants.

Even though it was hard for Mom to get here I'm glad she was able to. It was a really fun pre-birthday weekend in the city. And now I have rockin' jeans to wear to the big party on Saturday. Sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure all of the men on this list are dying to see the jeans as well.