August 26, 2007

Best... Birthday... Ever

I'm exhausted, but I can't sleep. It's nearly 12:30 am Sunday night/Monday morning as I type this. I've spent the past hour going through pictures from the amazing birthday weekend I just had. I find I can't stop looking through the pictures. I turned 30 on Friday, but the fun began on Wednesday night when I treated myself to a new haircut and color. I have always wanted blue hair of some kind, and I finally mustered the courage to do it. I darkened most of my hair, and put in a panel just under the crown of very rich midnight blue. It looks amazing, I've never loved my hair more. Thursday was fun at work where I got many different reactions. People are staring at me on the subway. I didn't do it for the attention, but it is fun to watch.

Friday, the birthday, was a busy day at wo
rk and I wasn't even able to answer most of the birthday calls that came in. I was truly touched at all the heartfelt and funny messages people left. The day flew by and before I knew it I was in my apartment with Jenna, waiting for Kristen to arrive from Chicago. She was only an hour late, which is considered on time for air travel these days. Starving, we went to a very fun Turkish restaurant in Park Slope. I was so happy to be spending the night with one of my oldest friends and one of my newest, both of who mean the absolute world to me. It would turn out that the three of us would be together for much of the entire weekend to come.


Saturday morning we went to brunch with Jerry and Jenna at this great diner called Tom's Restaurant. It's the kind of place where you actually wait in line to get in, but the entire time they are bringing food and drinks around. There was water, coffee, cookies, sausage and orange fourths. Once we got in the food was absolutely amazing. It is definitely a must visit brunch spot for all future visitors. And here are the girls, sharing a chocolate egg cream...


Saturday was a really hot day, but Kristen wanted to see the city so Jenna and I took her on a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. We took lots of fun pictures, even though it was hazy. From there we walked to TKTS to get half price Sunday matinée tickets to see The Drowsy Chaperone. We planned to take the Staten Island Ferry just for the boat ride, but we missed it by two minutes and ended up in Battery Park. Which turned out to be really nice. Hot as we were, when we stumbled across a fountain a bunch of kids were playing in we couldn't help but join them. I would have been soaking wet if it weren't for my new blue hair, as it still runs blue when it gets wet!

Now as I write it's Monday night. That day went by fast, didn't it? I finally succumbed to the tired last night. Which leaves me to talk about the big party Saturday night. It was amazing. I was so incredibly happy to be surrounded by all my fabulous New York friends. The only one missing was Megan, but she was excused because she and her boyfriend Paul got engaged the night before out on Long Island. So it was perfectly acceptable that they were missing, although they certainly were missed.

We started the night at Wined Up, my favorite place for an after work bottle of wine and fondue. There's just no better way to erase a bad day than with a good Meritage and a vat of melted cheese. But that's another post. Back to the party. It was like my own little tasting. We ordered a bunch of different wines and I got a glass of each. I had three glasses in front of me at all times. And everyone else was doing the same. We closed the place down (I think) and went to another bar called Flatiron Lounge at 1am. We lost some people at this point. We closed Flatiron at 3am, or maybe 4am (I think) and at this point we were down to four revelers... me, Andy, Ashwan and Matt. Ashwan led the way to the next bar, which I couldn't name and couldn't find again if I had a gun to my head. I was just being led around by the boys. I'm pretty sure we closed this place down but I have no idea what time. I was hungry so we went to a diner, at which point we lost Ashwan very suddenly. So it was down to Andy, Matt and I having burgers at 5am. In the cab on the way home it was getting light outside and I can't remember the last time I was home at dawn.


The next morning, after three hours of sleep I woke up at 10am ready(ish) to show Kristen around Brooklyn. We walked to have a great brunch and then walked around Prospect Park. Afterwards we got ready and headed to see The Drowsy Chaperone with Jerry and Jenna in Times Square, which I despise with the passion of a thousand suns, but is a necessary evil if you like Broadway shows. The show was an absolute blast, and our seats were wonderful. Kristen even got me to pose in the middle of Times Square... this is how much I love her.


But the day wasn't done yet. We went out for dinner in Union Square, and unfortunately I had to stop into work for an hour while Kristen walked around exploring and taking a bunch of great quintessential New York City photos. Afterwards we went for ice cream in Brooklyn and our butts finally hit the couch around 8pm at which point we only had the energy to look at our pictures and watch some episodes of my TV boyfriend's show. We were so tired, but even then I was wired, which brings us to the beginning of this post last night.

Many thanks to everyone who made my 30th birthday weekend the super-duper amazing technicolor party that it was (especially Kristen and Jenna, I love you both so much). This includes all my amazing friends and family from Chi Town who couldn't be here but still gave a phone shout out. My weekend could have only been better if all of you were able to be here in New York!

So, yeah, awesome birthday... and a weekend I'll never forget... at least what I remember of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egg Creams and Jenna, what could be bad. Sounds like a great weekend, and with a tall blond as well. That is one hell of a 30th birthday experience. Love you blue girl

Lori said...

That's my second blue hair comment. The usher at the play called me Blue Streak. He!