August 08, 2007

Oh New York, you saucy minx

Last week I was convinced that NY was totally and hopelessly in love with me. The City has made me so happy this past year, and then gave me that wonderful Yankees game anniversary present. I thought everything was going swimmingly. But you know how relationships can be sometimes... hot and cold. Today, NY really surprised me. I should have known better, I know The City really well, I knew deep down it had problems. Way below the surface it was hiding something devastating. That's right, NY has a problem with... gulp... infrastructure.

It rained this morning. A lot. Something like three inches in a half hour. Although that number was only 2.5 this morning so I think there's some telephone thing going on there. Either way, it was a lot of rain in a short time. I was determined to have a good day. I was up early, I felt good, I was ready to get in to work and get jamming. When I got to the subway station everyone was coming up, not down. The minorly helpful MTA worker only knew how to say one thing, "No trains at this station, all trains are running at Atlantic Avenue." So I walked a half mile in rain boots to mega-station, Atlantic Avenue. When I got there everyone was above ground, because, as it were, there were absolutely no trains running because the tunnels were all flooded. With no MTA workers on site I hear people talking about how to get in the city: multiple buses, walking over the bridge, and just going home to shower and try later. I was about to walk back home when Jerry called to see where I was. He suggested at least we could walk over the bridge together. Sure, why not, I'm already completely drenched in sweat, what could a brisk walk through Brooklyn, over the Manhattan bridge and probably all the way to work hurt?

So we met up and off we went. I think it took about a half hour to get to the bridge. We were drenched in sweat. Just before getting to the bridge I remembered there was an F train stop right nearby. We figured since it was one of the few trains that doesn't go through Atlantic Ave. it might actually be running. We got down to the station and sure enough, a train was already pulling up. It was tight, but had air conditioning! So happy!

As the train got into Manhattan it became more crowded. It was easily the most crowded train I've ever been on. This chick with thick blonde hair was crushing against me, I had to turn my head to not breathe her hair in. The guy packed behind me was somehow still trying to read the paper. As we were stopped at West 4th street an R train pulled in on the express track. People getting off said it was a B express. Since Jerry was heading all the way up to midtown, he bolted on to that train.

I somehow made it to work by 9am, before almost everyone in the office. Long before people actually coming from elsewhere on the island. Of course I was soaked in sweat, but luckily I keep a pair of shorts in the office for when the air conditioning breaks with no notice. So I put on those shorts and looked ridiculous all day. Jerry called me at 9:45 to say he finally made it to his office. Apparently the B express not only stopped at every stop, but also just stopped for a while. He may have been better off on our original local F, but who knows.

So I've had my hell commute in hot, humid, gross NY summer weather. It could have been worse, would have been if we hadn't thought to try for the F train. But still, it's going to take a little time before I forgive New York, because that sure was a dirty trick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was dirty, smelly, hot and the whole works. But at least you were here for something that hs not happened in over 130 years, a real tornado hit Brooklyn. Who would have thought.