August 15, 2007

Chicago, you're TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Get ready Chicago, you are about to play host to the hottest conference of the year. In just over a month the city, or at least the Springhill Suites Marriott - Chicago/O'Hare, will be bustling with the world's craziest fans. That's right, it's JemCon 2007!

For any of you thinking this is a conference showcasing rubies, sapphires and topaz, you would be wrong. Really, really wrong. It is, indeed, the third annual conference for fans of Jem, the animated series and Hasbro dolls from the 80s. The first conference in 2005 in Minneapolis was attended by over 50 (that's right, 50!) Jem fans, vendors and collectors. The sky's the limit this year. Could get crazy, there could even be 100 people in attendance, singing and dancing on top of a pink guitar shaped stage.

Personally, if I could make it into town for "Showtime in Chicago!" I would want to be part of the scheduled panel discussion; "Triangle Built for Two: Does Jem/Jerrica/Rio work?" I feel pretty strongly that it doesn't, but only because Rio was always hitting on my Barbie dolls, and Pizzazz was always hitting on Rio, and Jem/Jerrica felt pretty hopeless about the whole thing. It just can't work out between them.

While you are on the site make sure to check out all the newest Jem fashions. Apparently Jem got sick of her trendy 1985 clothes and got herself back on the updated fashion track. Oh, no wait, that doesn't seem to be the case.

In case any of you are wondering how I might have stumbled upon this fabulous piece of information, it's not that I'm a closet Jem fan. I don't have Jem dolls in my closet. I don't. It might, just might, have something to do with Halloween.

I've definitely narrowed the costume idea down to something from my 80s childhood, coming off the success of Punky Brewster two years ago (sadly last year I didn't get to dress up). I was batting around a few other ideas, but now that I've discovered this insane online Jem community of freaks, I must say I'm a little sucked in. Now I just have to choose who to be... any votes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you are over the top...and for a girl living in NY, that says a lot. I say go for the gusto and pick Jem herself, although I am not sure I will know who you are at a party.

Anonymous said...

And I always thought that Chicago was a relatively sane place! Seems the freakshow began once I left:) I loved Jem. My sister and I had regular 'gigs' on our Jem Rockin Stage.